Sunday 15 February 2015

A goddess rant...

I have to admit I am getting a bit bored with people on facebook always feeling the need to argue or counter comment re the goddesses.

Each person is an individual and as such we will have our own seperate and very unique experiences with deity and the divine...who is to say what is right or wrong?

As far as I know the goddessess never actually walked the earth...*waits for someone to argue...* so they never left behind selfies or diaries...

Historians and archeologists can only extract so much information...and add in a huge amount of speculation as to who was worshipped, when, where and why.  As far as history is concerned there is no FACT...we can only go by the information that was written down and from items that have survived.  But let's face it scribes may not have written things down exactly, translations may have been slightly off and as the saying goes "history was written by the victors" so who knows what the real events were? (Not that I am dissing archeologists or historians at all, I would have loved ot have been an archeologist myself). And at the end of the day the first image of any deity would have come from an indiviuals own personal vision...

My husband said yesterday "if we could actually go back in time and see what really happened in the past we would probably have to completely re-write the history books"...

If a goddess appears to me she will do so in a form that I recognise and chances are it won't be the same image as the person next to me sees...it is very personal...it is not right or wrong, it is MY experience.

The term Celts/Celtic is used a lot, I use it myself to cover a group of ancient English/Scottish/Irish deities, did the Celts actually exist?  There has been a lot of speculation about it, were they a race in their own right?  Was it just a collective name for a group of cultures?  Again...who knows for sure? Don't berate me for using the term, it works for me and until you can give me real solid proof...I shall continue to use it as a recognised term.

For instance...my matron goddess is The Cailleach and I have seen many, many images of her drawn and painted by different artists, each one different, some wildly and some only slightly but each one with personal variations - which one is right?  In my opinion all of them...

What gives anyone the right to tell another person that their image and view of deity is right or wrong?

You can share your own experiences of deity, you can share about information you have read that was written by others that have done research on deity but you cannot give definitive, definite, unrefutable proof and fact...not to my knowledge anyway.

Lighten up people...take a chill pill...connecting with deity is supposed to be a beautiful and enlightening experience, dont' spoilt it for others by trashing their vision and journey.

We all walk with the goddess in our own unique and very personal way, in my own humble opinion if anyone tells you that you are wrong...stay true to your intuition and walk away from that person.

Rant over...

1 comment:

  1. Very much with you on all of this. I think there's a lot of confusion out there about the difference between personal truth and history, coupled with a failure to recognise that the 'history' is mostly just the personal truth of people now dead and unable to comment. I think it takes a particular kind of insecurity to need everyone else to buy into your personal spiritual approaches. And if we're talking 'Celtic' - what period, what place...? Because just down the road twenty years later... can change a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.