Monday 10 November 2014

A magical book sales figure...


I never had a burning desire to be an author...never felt that I had 'that book inside me'...however a while back I saw a publisher (Moon Books) asking on facebook for book suggestions for a Pagan Portal series they were running so I replied to the facebook post with the words "what about Kitchen Witchcraft"... to receive the reply "good idea, send us a proposal"...um...

So I fell into book writing totally by accident.

My first book Pagan Portals Kitchen Witchcraft was published on 22nd February 2013 and since then several others have followed:
Grimoire of a Kitchen Witch published on 28th June 2013
Pagan Portals Hoodoo published 30th August 2013
Pagan Portals Moon Magic published 31st January 2014
A Kitchen Witch's World of Magical Plants & Herbs published 31st October 2014
(and I am currently writing A Kitchen Witch's World of Magical Food to be published in 2015)

There is a reason for this blog post and it is one that to be quite honest baffles me, humbles me and overwhelms me all at the same time.

Twenty months on from my first book publishing I have hit a magical book sales figure...I don't know why it is magical, it just seems like it is.

In October 2014 I hit and surpassed 10,000 book sales...10,770 to be correct.  

That includes paperbacks and ebacks, not bad over twenty months!

Now don't all get excited, I don't want to be tapped up for loans or free beers, because seriously I am not anywhere near becoming a millionaire...I haven't even earnt enough to clear my credit card bill or my overdraft - unless you are an author of status such as Rowling you ain't gonna be giving up the real job anytime soon. (See previous blog post on writing books and not making any money).  But it's not about the money, it has been about sharing the knowledge and experiences I have gained along my own journey within the Craft with others.

And I have to say it is actually hard work...when you write a book the only way to get it noticed and to encourage people to purchase it...is to totally pimp it and yourself.  Each and every day I work at marketing and selling my soul to the internet, it is constant in getting your book noticed to magazines, vendors, the public and anyone else that can help, but it needs to be done - what's the point of writing a book if no one ever finds out about it?

Add to that the hours and hours and days and days it takes to plan out, research and write a book, then the nerves as you wonder if it will be accepted and a contract will be forthcoming and then the overall worry (that never goes away) about whether anyone will actually like it or not!

So I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that has purchased copies of my books, you guys totally rock and without you the magical number would be but a dream.

I also have to thank my hubby for all his graphic work on the posters and adverts that I plaster all around the internet.

There is no big celebration or party hats and streamers...just a very nice proud feeling and warm fuzziness from me to all you guys for your support...although I may have cake...♥

3 comments:

  1. Well deserved congratulations, Rachel! I am a very happy owner of 3 of those titles and love the easy and accessible way in which they're written and the content is just perfect for each. I think 'Cakes' should be in that list also? Here's to the next 6! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou :-)
    Actually myself and Tracey have just published a cook book all about cakes - Cakes from the Cauldron - details on www.kitchenwitchhearth.net in the online shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I meant, it's not in the list :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.