Friday 12 September 2014

A tree confession...

I have a tree confession to make...

I know I am a witch and should be totally into the whole forest thing...but *ducks to avoid objects being thrown at me* I prefer wide open fields...there you go...I said it out loud...

Hubby and I went for a stroll in the forest at the Queen Elizabeth Country Park yesterday evening and it was beautiful, lots of pretty beech trees and a few yew trees as well.  Heading to autumn with quite a few leaves on the ground already and lots of fungi at the base of the trees - lovely.

But...I have always had a bit of a thing with forests, ever since I was a child.  There is something very mysterious about forests, they hide things...in pretty much all the old fairy tales something bad happens 'in a forest' (Hansel & Gretal and Red Riding Hood for instance).  So I think I always felt a bit uneasy when standing within a forest surrounded by trees that all seem to have secrets and hide away mysteries...

Now don't get me wrong, I do love trees, I think they are beautiful and wise and I happily tree hug whenever I meet one, I even talk to the trees that line the road on the school run.

But for me I feel more comfortable in wide open fields, grassy plains, valleys or the moors  - all beautiful places.  Maybe I just like the openess of them?

Dartmoor is perfect as is the landscape in Tintagel and I also love the site at Knowlton - all open fields interspered with rocks - my kind of sacred place.

So I will still visit forests and love the trees and the forest spirits but I will feel happier in the middle of a field...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you said this. I love trees. I love the way they look and the way they sound. But it's the ocean that truly holds my heart. The warmth of the sun, the sound of the wave and the crunch of the sand speaks to my soul.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.