Thursday 3 February 2011

Patience

Patience is a virtue...

Quite possibly, but it's not one of mine!

I have got better over the years, I have learnt to be more patient and it is something I have specifically worked on.

My thoughts today, the bizarre, random kind that pop into my head from time to time are about patience and where patience ends or should end.

When does being patient turn into being put upon, or walked over?

You can be patient with a friend, be patient with her/his moods, actions and behaviour, especially if they are going through a tough time.  But at what point to you say to yourself - you know I have had enough of being patient with them, now it is just plain bad behaviour on their part?

You can be patient waiting for something to be done or sent by someone.  Something that it is their job or duty to do.   They might be busy, they might have other things going on, and you are patient waiting for it to be done, but at what point does it go beyond being patient and fair waiting on them to do it or send it and turn into inefficiency or just plain bad service?

The dictionary defines patience as:

1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay
 
They do say that those who shout loudest get attention first.   If you have a complaint, if you want something done and it doesn't happen straight away, a patient person waits...others may shout and make themselves heard until they get what they want.  The patient person may still be waiting...is that fair? 
 
I don't have any clear cut and dry answers to my ponderings today, they are just that ... ponderings.
 
I shall continue to work on my patience, usually it works out to be less stressful.  But, I may watch out for those areas where I feel I am being overlooked or being treated unfairly because of the virtuous patience!
 
Seek patience
and passion
in equal amounts.
 
Patience alone
will not build the temple.
 
Passion alone
will destroy its walls.
 
~ Maya Angelou ~
 
Tansy
x
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.