Thursday, 2 December 2010

Altars



Today I decorated my main altar for Yule.   I change it with the seasons and the sabbats.   What do I put on my altar?  Well I do think it is a very personal choice as to what goes on your altar.  I know all the books give lists - athame, pentagram, wand, chalice, represenation of the Lord & Lady and all four elements, which is a good place to start.  And I did that, at first.


Now, I have a main altar that I put things on that really mean something to me, things that I feel want to go on there.  


My main altar is a long narrow shelf underneath part of my book collection.    So on the left hand corner I have a space dedicated to the Cailleach - a goddess statue that I can put offerings in - usually I put crystals and stones, a picture of the Cailleach, a crystal inside a stone, a hag stone and some pretty pebbles.  For Yule I also have some evergreen foliage.  On the right hand side I have a space dedicated to Merlin - a statue of Merlin, my large crystal ball and a smaller green one, a couple of dragon statues and a piece of bluestone (the stone that Stonehenge is made of).  In the centre I have a pentagram and two candles in holders - one black for the God, one white for the Goddess.  I also have a pretty glass & silver dish to put offerings to the God in.  In amongst it all I have various things that are important to me - a prosperity witches bottle, a figure of Granny Weatherwax (a crone witch from Terry Pratchett books), a witch rag doll, various crystals, shells and pebbles, a feather I found, a dragon necklace from a sister witch, a bracelet made by a sister witch, a wooden toadstool, meditation beads I made, my athame, a green man plaque and any other odd bits of nature I feel need to be on there!


My altar is personal to me, it represents my beliefs and the spiritual things that are important to me.   Sometimes I put my dragon chalice on it, sometimes I put my wand on it - it all depends on what feels right to me at any particular time.


That is my main altar, I do have others - I have an ancestors altar, on top of a sideboard, it has photographs of my grandparents and great grandparents, along with a candle, incense, shells, stones and crystals.


I also have a desk altar where I sit and work, this has a dragon candle holder, a pentagram, incense and various crystals.  Again I add and take away what feels right at the time.


I have a tiny altar in the space that I meditate in - this has an oil burner, a candle, a Merlin's dragon stone, a selenite wand and various crystals.


There is also a sacred space in my garden, just a round shallow terracotta pot filled with glass pebbles and stones that I painted to represent the four elements.


I would love to have four elemental altars at the corresponding directions in the house, but there is a. a lack of space and b. I do have to share my home with others! ;-)


Now I really need to get on with putting up the rest of the Yule decorations!


Tansy
x

No comments:

Post a Comment