Friday 9 July 2010

A love of LUSH

A while back on an anniversary trip to Bath I discovered the Lush products. I had seen the shops before and smelt the lovely fragrance that wafts as you walk past them, but never ventured in.

I have always struggled to find a perfume to wear that my skin does not devour 20 seconds after I have sprayed it on. Then I found Karma by Lush. Gorgeous notes of orange, patchouli, pine, lavender and lemongrass and the fragrance stays on me for hours.

Their solid shampoo bars are excellent, just like a round bar of soap and they last for ages. My personal favourite has cloves and cinnamon in – two of my most favourite fragrances.

Their soaps are divine, and bear in mind that both I and my daughter are very sensitive to chemicals in most soaps and shower gels – we never have a problem with Lush products. Personal favourites – hubby loves the porridge one and I must admit it has a wonderful aroma (once you get past the thought that you are bathing with a breakfast cereal!). Also what fantastic names, how could you resist Vanilla in the Mist soap? I should Coco soap? Honey I washed the kids?

Now I don’t take many baths myself – no wait, don’t say ewwwwwww, I prefer to shower! But the children love the bath bombs, how about a Think Pink Bath Ballistic or maybe Waving Not Drowning Bath Ballistic? (another fab name). So my favourite for the shower? Creamed Almond & Coconut shower smoothie, almost good enough to eat! It smells divine, it cleans and it leaves your skin feeling like it has a moisturizer on it. The kid’s favourite for the shower is the whoosh shower jelly – yep looks just like a lump of blue jelly, totally bizarre but it has lovely citrus, rosemary and geranium aromas.

I’m always looking for new products for my face to fight the onset of time, and recently started using Angels on Bare Skin cleanser, it’s a version of a medieval skincare recipe, it has rose and lavender oils and almonds to gently exfoliate. Makes your skin feel lovely. For a moisturizer I have been using Gorgeous which uses organic oils and butters mixed with fresh fruit. But yesterday I purchased Paradise Regained to try (OK I got it because I liked the sound of the name!) this has green tea and natural fruit acids from pineapples and grapes added to almond oil, jojoba oil and cocoa butter.

And in this heat, after the shower I use their dusting powder, the vanilla puff one smells divine and for my feet? T for Toes, their website describes thusly – foot powder to prevent whiffs and pongs!

I’m still working my way through their products, there are so many to try.


Aside from the fact that their products are gorgeous, they also have brilliant ethics, taken from their website this is what they say:

In making effective products from fresh organic fruit and vegetables, the finest essential oils and safe synthetics. We believe in buying ingredients only from companies that do not commission tests on animals and in testing our products on humans. We invent our own products and fragrances; we make them fresh by hand using little or no preservative or packaging, using only vegetarian ingredients and tell you when they were made. We believe in happy people making happy soap, putting our faces on our products and making our mums proud. We believe in long candlelit baths, sharing showers, massage, filling the world with perfume and in the right to make mistakes, lose everything and start again. We believe our products are good value, that we should make a profit and that the customer is always right. We also believe words like fresh and organic have an honest meaning beyond marketing.

How can you disagree with any of that? I would also add that every store I have been into – Bath, Portsmouth, Chichester and Guildford, every single staff member has been cheerful, helpful and knowledgeable.




http://www.lush.co.uk/


http://www.lush.com/


http://lushusa.com/



Tansy
x

2 comments:

  1. I have been in the one in Cardiff too and the staff were amazing - it can't be THAT awful to work around such loveliness each day can it?! LOVE LUSH. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lush started out as Cosmetics To Go, based in Poole (their first shop was in Poole old town) and due to (I believe) a big computer failure one year, the place went under... only to start up again as Lush (hence the bit in their ethics statement about believing in making mistakes, losing it all and starting again!) I used to work in Poole too many years ago to count, and I spent a LOT of money in their little shop!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.